[mythtv-users] MythTV and BitTorrent?

Will will at st0rage.org
Fri Jul 18 14:23:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 10:11 -0400, Phil Bridges wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Will <will at st0rage.org> wrote:

> >>      It's a nice little paradox. However, the fact that you are breaking
> >> the encryption pretty much gaurantees that you are engaging in legitimate
> >> use with works in your own posession. The opposite is most likely true with
> >> bittorrent.
> >>
> >>      BitTorrent use is typically the sort of activities that law enforcement
> >> would raid BBS systems over in the pre-web days. BT has the problem of being
> >> an download/upload medium. Most people using it are also "making available"
> >> and are doing so while displaying a big fat "kick me" sign.
> >>
> >>      At least my use of mplayer doesn't send out a big signal flare to
> >> MediaSentry and the like.
> > #mythtv-users)
> >
> > This does not seem very open to me. I suppose the source is free, but
> > the speech isn't. ;)
> >
> > I am disappointed, not with the decision on including torrent
> > functionality in MythTV, but with the way that some people on this list
> > and on IRC tried to kill discussion of it.
> >
> > "Isaac doesn't like it, GTFO" doesn't seem like a very productive
> > attitude. How many other features are killed off in this way, I wonder?
> >

> Nobody tried to "kill discussion of it".  We just tried to explain to
> you that the discussion wasn't welcome *on this mailing list*.  There
> are other MythTV resources out there that aren't under the purveyance
> of the owner of this mailing list.

And the main MythTV community is where this was brought up, for good
reason.

I understand; this has been talked about before. It would have helped if
someone had linked to the old discussion, but even then several things
IMO were brought up during this thread that were not covered in the old
one.

Is there a list on the wiki of taboo subjects, so this doesn't happen
again? It would be nice to know which features/etc should not be talked
about on the list that Isaac has strong opinions on.

-Will