[mythtv-users] MythTV and BitTorrent?

Will will at st0rage.org
Fri Jul 18 14:06:25 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 08:55 -0500, jedi wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 06:58:23PM +1000, Dean Harding wrote:
> > Will wrote:
> > > My understanding of reality was that playing (and ripping) encrypted
> > > DVDs in linux with things such as libdvdcss is illegal in the US,
> > > whereas bittorrent use is not.
> >
> > True, but ripping non-encrypted DVDs is not. The "Rip DVD" feature still
> > works perfectly on non-encrypted DVDs if you don't have the libdvdcss
> > library installed.
>
>      It's a nice little paradox. However, the fact that you are breaking
> the encryption pretty much gaurantees that you are engaging in legitimate
> use with works in your own posession. The opposite is most likely true with
> bittorrent.
>
>      BitTorrent use is typically the sort of activities that law enforcement
> would raid BBS systems over in the pre-web days. BT has the problem of being
> an download/upload medium. Most people using it are also "making available"
> and are doing so while displaying a big fat "kick me" sign.
>
>      At least my use of mplayer doesn't send out a big signal flare to
> MediaSentry and the like.
#mythtv-users)

This does not seem very open to me. I suppose the source is free, but
the speech isn't. ;)

I am disappointed, not with the decision on including torrent
functionality in MythTV, but with the way that some people on this list
and on IRC tried to kill discussion of it.

"Isaac doesn't like it, GTFO" doesn't seem like a very productive
attitude. How many other features are killed off in this way, I wonder?

-Will