[mythtv-users] Horizontal seam in picture - contradicting EDID

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Jul 18 13:26:09 UTC 2008

>  > > > Everything looks great except there is
>>  > > a horizontal distortion that becomes more apparent during fast moving
>>  > > scenes. It looks like there is a horizontal line where everything
>>  > > above the line is offset slightly to the right of everything below
>>  > > the line. It looks kind of like a seam in the picture. The line
>>  > > seems to move slowly down the screen from top to bottom until it
>  > > > recycles. Again, it is only visible during scenes with movement

This is commonly referred to as a "tear" (as in "rip", not what comes
from the ducts in your eyes when you first see it on the $1000+
display you just bought.)

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_tearing

For what it's worth, I get something similar at 1080p or 1080i on my
Sony TV using HDMI. I am using OpenGL vsync, so the tear doesn't
move; it's always in the exact same location, and of consistent
shape. Unfortunately, I don't have another display device I can use
to see if it's the TV or the PC that's at fault.