[mythtv-users] Playback of HDTV, HDHomeRun

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jul 18 13:16:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:03:35AM -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jul 17, 2008, at 10:57 AM, Eric (MythTV) wrote:
>
> > Paul wrote:
> >> As a datapoint i am able to play back my hdhomerun recordings on a P4
> >> 2.8 GHz using a nvidia 5200 without any problems (and no xvmc). I did
> >> use to have problems with it when i was using an old ATI card
> >> however.
> >
> > Sorry for jumping into this thread, but is there anywhere I can
> > download
> > a sample file from a HDHomeRun?  Nothing done to it, just a straight-
> > up
> > recording?  I'd like to be able to see if my setup can play it back
> > without problems or not.
> >
> > I downloaded some other sample high-def stuff, but its not in the same
> > format as what would come out of the HDHR...  and since I'm thinking
> > about getting an HDHR, it would be nice to be able to test a file.
>
> What comes out of the HDHR depends on what you put into it. The HDHR
> doesn't process digital video at all. It just passes along the stream.

    What does come out of the HDHR will vary wildly because of this.

    Some stations are low bandwidth 640x480 and others are high bandiwdth
1080i. A random sample may not help you really. You need to know if the
content you're interested in will play or if you can essentially play
anything.

    Of course reception is always an issue. Although the homerun has a very
good tuner.

    My homerun doesn a better job as tuner than my expensive TV does. So,
I don't even bother running the cable from the antenna to it anymore. You
can't count on your TV to give you a good projection of what your HDHR
reception will be.