[mythtv-users] OSD resolution

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Fri Jul 18 04:50:25 UTC 2008

Sebastian Buks wrote:
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:05:50 -0000 (GMT)
>> From: "Peter VanDerWal" <peter at vanderwal.us>
>> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] OSD resolution
>> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>>

>>> My setup consists of a PVR-500 with a standard analog PAL signal
>>> going
>>> in. Now the resolution on that might not be very hight. However I
>>> output it on a HD-Ready Samsung LCD TV. This is fine, but I notice
>>> that all OSDs I try get a really really low resolution making the
>>> font
>>> and graphics edgy and not looking nice at all. By judging from the
>>> screenshot in the wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/images/9/93/Isthmus.jpg
>>> ) the OSD seems nice and crips. Any clues on what I'm doing wrong
>>> here?
>>>
>> How are you getting it from the computer to the TV?
>> I.e. Component Video, HDMI, DVI, S-Video...?
>>

> I'm currently doing my output via VGA @ 1366x768. Everything looks
> great except the OSD. I know the OSD usually is a low resolution
> compared to the actual theme, but still - pictures dont lie, there has
> to be something wrong with mine which is clearly visible when I look
> at the wiki screens.

Sebastian,
    As far as I can tell, this is the way it is supposed to work. I run
mythtv into a 61" 1080p set over HDMI and I can definitly see that the
OSD is rendered in the same resolution as the video before it is scaled
by the video card. I mainly watch SD content from a pair of PVR-x50s and
there is noticeable aliasing on the OSD letters. If I playback a sample
clip of 720p or 1080i content, the OSD is rendered much better.

I might be wrong, but I think the only way to render OSD better would be
to scale the video to the TV's res in software first, then apply the
OSD. This would take a LOT of CPU power, and remove the whole point of
xvideo overlay doing hardware scaling.

- Richard