[mythtv-users] nVidia 9600GT and XvMC - there or not?

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 13:16:38 UTC 2008

Thanks for the help.

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 5:39 PM, Tom Lichti <tom at redpepperracing.com> wrote:
> Robin Smith wrote:
>>> AGP has no effect on PCI-E, so that's a dead end.
>> lsmod shows agpgart using nvidia, why would it do so if there's no AGP
>> interaction? I am not claiming to know the answer or questioning your
>> statement, I guess I am saying, why is there AGP stuff there at all?
>> The only nVidia thing is my video card, did its driver load AGP stuff
>> even though the card is PCI Express?
> Dunno. My system does not show any agpgart loaded.

I removed the nvagp line from my xorg and now now agpgart shows up at
all, so this is now gone.

>>> One question, are you using MythBuntu, or Ubuntu in general, for the
>>> frontend? I had no end of playback problems with Ubuntu, I switched to
>>> MythDora and it's been a dream.
>> I am running OpenSUSE 11. The MythTV stuff comes from the Packman repositories
>> http://packman.links2linux.org/package/mythtv/
>> Currently running: MythTV 0.21-13
> Okay, then it's probably not that.
>>
>>> Section "Extensions"
>>>    Option         "Composite" "Enable"
>>> EndSection
>> The only difference of possible significance is my Composite is
>> disabled, yours is enabled.
>> I'll play around some more tonight...
> That was there from the install, dunno if it's needed or not.

So I set my composite to Enable and restart X. I know get different
options in Playback. If I set my profile (created a custom one) to
OpenGL I can choose Linear (HW), etc for deinterlacing, but it is
horribly choppy on playback, then freezes (lots of audio buffer
warnings). In general, the OpenGL performance is quite poor. Xv-blit
seems to be the best

What are people typically choosing under Playback Profiles on their
Core2Duo nVidia machines?

Can anyone else pipe in with some areas to look at? I know it should
be performing better than it should given the horsepower I have.

Robin