[mythtv-users] Transcode / nuvexport question

John Freer john_freer at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 16:58:53 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have some large 1080i files (PBS, Carrier, 2 hours = 12GB) that I'd very much like to compress down to something smaller.

I've tried a few different combinations with nuvexport based on looking at some downloaded xvids that look nice to me.  I'm seeing settings like 500-750 as the width and a corresponding height for 16:9.  Bitrates for a typical download are like 800-1100.

Now if I use nuvexport to transcode a 1080i TV recording down to something like that (which yields like 700MB/hr), it looks terrible.

I'm using xvid, 2 pass, deinterlaced.  I've tried bitrates out to 2000, but it doesn't really get anywhere near the quality I'm seeing from a downloaded copy of Stargate.

What am I doing wrong?  Can someone give me some good nuvexport parameters to turn a 1080i into 700MB/hr and look as nice as what is commonly available via torrent?

Other script? Other procedure?  Abandon xvid for divx?

Also -- how to I tell nuvexport to retain the AC3 soundtrack during the procedure rather than converting to mp3?

Thanks for the help.  I'm new to exporting.

Thanks,
John.