[mythtv-users] Moving recordings to mythvideo

Peter Schachte schachte at csse.unimelb.edu.au
Wed Jul 16 08:36:50 UTC 2008

Nick Rout wrote:

> Having read all that i am wondering why someone would want to drop
> their recordings from recorded to mythvideo. It seems to me you lose
> all that metadata about series name, description etc, the seek table
> and probably more.

Possibly because it's a movie you recorded.  Maybe you edited out commercials
and did a lossless transcode (so you don't need the cutlist anymore).  And as
a movie, the metadata from mythvideo would be more appropriate (title,
director, IMDB rating, etc vs. title, subtitle, etc).  And, of course, if you
feel like watching a movie, you're more likely to look in Watch Videos than
in Watch Recordings.

Another reason might be that you want to keep a recording permanently.  Ie,
you don't want someone accidentally deleting it after watching it.  Maybe
it's the time your child was on the news (hopefully in a good way!), or you
just want to keep a whole season of your favourite show.  Since you can't
delete from the Watch Video list (only through the Video Manager), storing it
as a video might seem better.  Somehow recordings just feel more ephemeral
than videos, even if you preserve the episode and disable autoexpire.

Conversely, if you get a new DVD, you might like to rip it but store it as a
recording rather than a video, so it's in your queue of things to watch, and
it's easy to delete it after you've watched it (not a problem since you've
still got the DVD), and so it gets autoexpired after a while if you never get
around to watching it.  But that's another matter.

--
Peter Schachte              I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend
schachte at cs.mu.OZ.AU        to the death your right to say it.