[mythtv-users] Mythtv Migration

C D Waddell cdwaddell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 19:56:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 2008/7/15 C D Waddell <cdwaddell at gmail.com>:
> > I was having an issue with my server and had to migrate to a new myth-tv
> > backend box. So I followed the directions at
> > http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7 , I installed the
> exact
> > same version of mythtv onto my new system (the latest unmasked Gentoo
> > version) but when I ran the commands:
> >
> > $ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg < record.sql
> >
> > and
> >
> > $ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg < recorded.sql
> >

> > I got the error:
> >
> > ERROR 1136 (21S01) at line 24: Column count doesn't match value count at
> row
> > 27
> >
> > I know that I could have avoided this by issuing the mysqldump -c command
> > for the export of the data, but this wasn't in the documentation and I
> > didn't think about it until after my old box was inaccessible. Is there
> > anything that I can do to get these two tables into my new system? Is
> there
> > a place I can go to look at the database schema changes to determine what
> > columns no longer match?
>
> The best place is your database, either via the mysql command line or
> using an interface such as phpMyAdmin.
>
> If using the mysql command line (update user for correct mysql username):
>
> $ mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg
> <enter password>
>
> mysql> describe record;
> mysql> describe recorded;
>
> will show the current fields in those tables. Compare those to the
> insert/replace fields in your two export files and you'll be able to
> spot which field is missing.
>
> To monitor updates to the DB schema over time, check
>
> http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/log/branches/release-0-21-fixes/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/dbcheck.cpp
> (replace brnaches/release-0-21-fixes/ with /trunk if running trunk)
>
> Finally, recent versions of MythTV keep a backup of the DB before
> upgrading to a new version, so check your DB storage directory
> (default to recordings directory if not configured) for a recent
> backup, which may be usable. If you do replace your current DB with
> the backup, MythTV should be able to upgrade to the current schema
> without any issues.
>
> Nick
>
> --
> Nick Morrott
>
> MythTV Official wiki:
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/
>
> "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." - Benjamin
> Franklin

Thanks for the DB schema link, I was able to solve my problem using this.
Once I went through the schema I saw that profiles were added in .21, and
remembered that I had to switch to a testing version of mythtv .21 for a
short time in order to solve an incompatibility issue with my hardware and
give me access to schedules direct. Since the version of mythtv that I was
using was .20, the db schema was update. Thus when I tried to import my data
the columns were missing. Once I removed the "profile" section from the
dump, the import went smoothly.

Thanks,
CD Waddell