[mythtv-users] Any way to set default tuner/source?

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 23:57:43 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2008, at 4:22 PM, Steve Curtis wrote:
>
>> 2008/7/15 Steve Curtis <scurtis at fixation.net
>> <mailto:scurtis at fixation.net>>:
>>

>>     2008/7/14 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>>:
>>
>>         Delete your Input Connections in mythtv-setup (not your
>>         capture cards
>>         or videosources), and then recreate them, configuring the
>>         input you
>>         want to be used first for LiveTV last. So, if you want the
>>         DVB-S input
>>         to be used last for LiveTV, configure that input first, and
>>         then add
>>         your DVB-T tuner afterwards.
>>

>>     Ah, I thought it would be the other way round :-)  Hence I created
>>     my Freeview bindings first.  I'll give this a go and report back
>>     to the list for the archives :-)
>>

>> Well that was quick.  There's no option to delete input connections so
>> how do you delete them.  The delete key doesn't seem to do anything
>> and I can't see a way within an input connection to remove them?
>
> You have to delete your capture cards, not input connections. Delete All
> Cards if you want them to be added as 1, 2, 3...
> Of course, you could also just bump the priority of them to put them in
> the order you want. I'm not sure why everyone always says to delete and
> recreate them instead of just changing priority. Changing priority
> always works for me.

I've changed card priorities several times also.
In my experience changing the card priority changes the way the
scheduler behaves. If you set one card with priority 1 and all others at
zero, the scheduler will always try and record on the card with higher
priority. So if there is a later showing or something like that on an
input connected to the higher priority card, it will get recorded later
rather than sooner. If all cards are set to priority zero it will just
use the cards in the order you entered them in.

Other than that I haven't noticed any differences, and this is useful in
fact for say having only one digital tuner that you want things to try
and record on always first, and record analog only if it doesn't show up
on the digital input.

Of course, other ways to do that are also select the preferred input in
the recording rules, which you can't do for liveTV of course. Lots of
freedom to do things different ways though.