[mythtv-users] Record to "MPEG-2 SVCD-compatible Stream" with Hauppauge PVR USB2

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 22:00:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:25 AM, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 03:44:40PM -0000, Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>> I'm a little confused.  You say you want to record a recording that you
>> already have?
>> I would think that transcoding it would be better than converting it to
>> analog and then recording the analog, at least I think that's what you are
>> suggesting.
>
> No, his question is actually, so far as I can determine, "how do I
> configure my recording parameters for the Hauppauge card so as to get
> SVCD compliant MPEG files out of it".
>
> I don't know the answer, that just seems to me to be the question.  :-)
>
> MPEG1 seems required, though, if I remember my SVCD...

I think you are thinking of VCD, not SVCD. According to wikipedia:

Video

    * Codec: MPEG-2
    * Resolution: 2/3 D1
          o NTSC: 480x480
          o PAL/SECAM: 480x576
    * Aspect Ratio: 4:3 / 16:9
    * Framerate:
          o NTSC: 29.97 frames per second
          o PAL/SECAM: 25 frames per second
    * Bit rate: Up to 2,600 kilobits per second
          o Rate Control: Constant or variable bit rate

I think the question is: "The card tells me it can do SVCD compatible
streams, but there is no such option in MythTV. How do I make it give
me SVCD streams"

Perhaps the answer is: "no one thought you'd be using SVCD's in the
age in which DVD burners and blank disks are chap as chips"