[mythtv-users] What is the best Video Player

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 11:52:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Brett Williams <vipersbt at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I first started using MythTV is was using the default mplayer for
> playing my videos, then later I switched to the Internal player.  Both seem
> to work fine, is there really a difference?  Is one better than another?

If you've tried both and can't see a difference then it doesn't really
matter which one you use does it?

Personally I use the internal player if I can because it integrates better:
it provides the same interface and capabilities when watching videos as you
get when watching tv. It may be possible to set mplayer up so it's pretty
seemless, but you'll have to do some work. And even then I'm not sure if
mplayer supports stuff like timestretch. If I have something with a
container or codec that the internal player can't handle then I use mplayer.
It may be more efficent for HD so if you're having problems with HD material
in the internal player it might be worth a try.

Is there an even better choice?

There other common option is Xine. It used to be better for dvds as it had
better support for dvd menus, but the internal player has pretty much caught
up in that department. mplayer didn't have any support for dvd menus when I
last tried it - don't know if it has improved since. But again, if you can't
see a difference between mplayer and Internal then I doubt Xine will do much
for you.

Cheers,
Steve