[mythtv-users] Fun with FireWire

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Sun Jul 13 13:38:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 07:07:13AM -0700, Steve Heistand wrote:

> > > could you expand some on "erratic"?
> >
> > Missing recording files. System lock-up in one case.
> >
> > -dsr-
> >

> there is a 'disable firewire reset' checkbox I think in the general
> settings menu, make sure that isnt checked.

I haven't found that.

> the connection speed in the mythtv-setup section was key as well.
> while supposedly the box would run at 400mbps it would only reliably work
> at 200. which is still fast enough for HD. occasionally it would bounce
> around to the 2nd channel on the firewire port, which didnt really cause
> mythtv any problems it did cause issues for my channel changing script

I reset the connections to 200Mb/s broadcast mode. That seems to
have helped, some.

At this point:

- I can watch most channels through the FW connection. After
  changing channels in LiveTV mode between 10 and 20 times, the
  whole computer locks up, and needs a reboot.

- Randomly, after recording a show, the STBs stop
  responding. Pulling the cables and power-cycling them brings
  them back.

Has anyone seen either of these before?  These are Motorola
DCT6412 STBs, from RCN in Boston.

-dsr-

When freedom gets lots of exercise, it protects itself.