[mythtv-users] OT: NFS craziness

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 22:09:27 UTC 2008

Mike Perkins wrote:
> mythtv at blandford.net wrote:
>> You have to add each filesystem you are exporting into /etc/exports
>>
>> /mnt/this/hdc/video
>> /mnt/this/hdd/video
>> etc
>>
>> You also have to mount each filesystem on the remote machine.  You can't
>> just mount a higher level like /mnt/this.
>>
> I can and I do. The reason you have to do it that way, is that if the drive
> fails to spin up, or suffers some other failure, and doesn't mount, you don't
> end up writing video files into your root device. You *must* write your video
> files at a lower level than you NFS mount at.

You need to be mounting /mnt/this/hdc and /mnt/this/hdd and each of those needs
to have a "video" directory under them, then it will work as you want it to
work, since the "video" directory is not there it will fail if those disks are
not mounted, on the remote machines you need to be mounting server:/mnt/this/hdc
onto /mnt/this/hdc and then if video is not there, again it will fail rather
than writing to root.

                            Roger