[mythtv-users] `Mythbackend leaks memory` continued

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 04:23:50 UTC 2008

2008/7/11 Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl>:

> I posted a png of my figures and a graphic at:
> http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/4408/growthqv4.png
> You will see the growth of various parameters over time, measured each
> morning, for the mythbackend process.
>
> I monitored the data using a small cronjob:
> $ crontab -l
> 4 5 * * * /bin/ps aux|/bin/grep /usr/bin/mythbackend|/bin/grep -v grep
>>> ~/psmyth.txt
>
> If your machine shows similar growth (can be less growth or more growth
> but growth nonetheless) you are invited to run valgrind on that machine
> if it is powerfull enough. [My VIA EN12000 board can't run Mythbackend
> and valgrind at the same time reliably.]

Having remained quiet until I had some data to show, I'll contribute
my graph of RSS and VSZ usage with mythbackend over the last 13 days
(so far), generated via ps and rrdtool immediately after a restart of
mythbackend:

http://insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/mbe-mem-usage.png

There is an obvious trend in the data (after 2 months of uptime ended
in June I was using ~ 1.5GiB of VSZ). My system uses 3 DVB-T and 1
PVR-150 cards. A handful of recordings each day (maybe 4 on average),
and multirec is /not/ enabled. EIT is enabled for a half-dozen radio
channels. System is an AMD Athlon64 3000+ with 1GiB RAM. Running
Valgrind for several hours last week did not reveal anything at that
time.

When I discussed this on #mythtv last week, I was kindly pointed to
the article at http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2006/11/30/linux-out-of-memory.html?page=1
which explains one way memory can disappear without an obvious leak
point.

[mythtv at homer mythtv]$ mythbackend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : 17592M
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_oss using_alsa using_backend using_dvb
using_frontend using_iptv using_ivtv using_lirc using_opengl_vsync
using_opengl_video using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_xvmc_vld using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads using_live

Nick

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: