[mythtv-users] How to safely stop mythcommflag

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jul 11 18:22:06 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 12:47:22PM -0500, Mitch Gore wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:36 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:14:52AM -0500, Paul wrote:
> > loads
> >
> >     In general, you can set a "maintenance window" for your jobs so that
> > they won't be running at other times. I have started to do that and I have
> > my desktop machine running a slave backend for commflagging.
> >
> >    I was running into a similar problem. I wasn't nice about it and ended
> > up having stuff to clean up afterwards. Then I ran into the
> > jobstart/jobstop
> > settings and that worked a lot better/cleaner.

> > > I think you can send it a STOP signal via kill to pause it, and then a
> > > CONT to restart. At least that is what seems to be a case based off a
> > > script i came across by crushinator:
> > > http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16027
> >

> You can stop jobs from right in the GUI.  Go to system status and job
> queue.  Click on the job and say pause or stop.

    That's still a little cumbersome. Something closer to the where the
user is in the UI would be a lot better. Perhaps even an option in the
main menu during playback would be handy... a "suspend jobs" sort of thing.
The idea would be to give the user a means to give the system feedback that
things aren't running well enough. Then the system would adjust based on
some obvious heuristics (like suspending jobs).

    Having blackout windows for the jobs seems to be a much more workable
solution. It's a very nice touch. Something with a little more intellegence
and somewhat more automated might be cool but what's already there seems
good enough.