[mythtv-users] OT: Did I fry my digital TV tuner?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 12:49:02 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Alen Edwards
<allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>> Well, I'm not sure but I think I fried the digital tuner in my new LCD
>> TV. I was a victim of the HDHomerun bad power supply so I figured I'd
>> hook up my nifty medium directional antenna in my attic to the TV
>> while my LiveTV in Myth is out of commission.
>>
>> Well I did a channel scan and if found a few digital channels but not
>> all I expected. At first I thought I had a weak signal because of that
>> but I noticed that all the analog stations looked REALLY good for
>> analog. So I tried putting in a splitter (one end connected to my HDHR
>> so it would be terminated) and it didn't help, then I tried two
>> splitters, no go...
>>
>> Most channel it found during the auto scan it would not show a picture
>> "No Video or Audio" and the ones it did were "blocky" but not in the
>> normal signal glitch way but with crazy colors in the blocks... I then
>> tried connecting it back to the original antenna I had it on (not much
>> better than rabbit ears) which picked up all the digital channels but
>> frequently had signal issues but things did not return to normal. I
>> still can't tune hardly any digital stations and the ones it does
>> "tune" are the weird blocky type.
>>
>> So I'm pretty sure I fried my digital tuner (analog still works fine)
>> but wanted to look for confirmation here...
>>
>> Richard
>
> It is really hard to understand what you are saying.  For one thing, how
> on earth can a splitter help?  Also, if your HDHR is out of commission,
> how did you do a channel scan?  Basically, I have no idea what you are
> saying or asking.  That said, I seriously doubt you fried your tuner
> unless you felt a shock from static at some point or did something you
> are not telling us about.
>
> Allen
'
Sorry, it was late last night and I probably wasn't clear... My HDHR
is out of commission because of a bad power supply so I was going to
use the digital tuner in my TV until my replacement power supply shows
up. I had the "good" antenna connected to the HDHR and a crappy one
hooked up to the TV directly... It got all the channels but didn't
always get a good signal.

Since the HDHR is temporarily out of commission I hooked up my good
antenna to the TV but it didn't work as expected. It didn't find all
the digital channels that the HDHR found when doing a channel scan and
the ones it did find it couldn't tune to. Since the analog channels
were coming in really well I figured it couldn't be too low of a
signal strength so I figured it was to high and tried to use splitters
to bring the signal strength down but nothing worked.

Then I decided to hook the crappy antenna back up to it and forget
about it. That's when I noticed I couldn't tune the same channels I
could before with the same setup.

I hope that clears it up.. I apologize, sometimes I have trouble
getting everything out coherently, especially at night after getting
the kids to bed.

Richard