[mythtv-users] Copyright Legislation in Canada

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Fri Jul 11 05:33:05 UTC 2008

R. G. Newbury wrote:

>> In the US, the broadcast flag was struck down in court. It is legal to
>> record any DTV transmission.  (American Library Association v. Federal
>> Communications Commission)
>>
>> Allen
>
> We're not talking about the US.
>
> Geoff

I know.

But, do you think Canada is a big enough market to dictate that the
equipment makers put in broadcast flag crap into their equipment?
Consumers clearly don't want it so having it would be a competitive
disadvantage in the US.  Look at what happen with Microsoft when someone
flipped a broadcast flag bit by mistake and everyone who had a MPC lost
the signal.

As I recall, the broadcast flag legislation would have made PCs have to
be welded shut so that users could not open them.  There is no way to
make that kind of thing do anything but piss off customers.

I hope the people who want a broadcast flag go broke.

One of the few good things Congress did, killing that legislation.

Allen