[mythtv-users] OT: Did I fry my digital TV tuner?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 03:53:28 UTC 2008

Well, I'm not sure but I think I fried the digital tuner in my new LCD
TV. I was a victim of the HDHomerun bad power supply so I figured I'd
hook up my nifty medium directional antenna in my attic to the TV
while my LiveTV in Myth is out of commission.

Well I did a channel scan and if found a few digital channels but not
all I expected. At first I thought I had a weak signal because of that
but I noticed that all the analog stations looked REALLY good for
analog. So I tried putting in a splitter (one end connected to my HDHR
so it would be terminated) and it didn't help, then I tried two
splitters, no go...

Most channel it found during the auto scan it would not show a picture
"No Video or Audio" and the ones it did were "blocky" but not in the
normal signal glitch way but with crazy colors in the blocks... I then
tried connecting it back to the original antenna I had it on (not much
better than rabbit ears) which picked up all the digital channels but
frequently had signal issues but things did not return to normal. I
still can't tune hardly any digital stations and the ones it does
"tune" are the weird blocky type.

So I'm pretty sure I fried my digital tuner (analog still works fine)
but wanted to look for confirmation here...

Richard