[mythtv-users] Is it possible to sort by Original Airdate instead of recorded date?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 22:45:13 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Nick Morrott
<knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/07/2008, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com> wrote:
>>  > On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 10:39 PM, John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >> In the USA, the scheduledirect data includes the original air date for
>>  >> the vast majority of shows.
>>  >
>>  > And there is the episode number, which should provide the same sort order..
>>

>> Should, but often does not.  I have seen shows where the programid /
>>  episode number sorting does not match the air-date sorting.  Also, the
>>  "episode number" is often missing from the data, and all you have is
>>  the programid -- which MOST of the time does not match the air-date
>>  order (in my experience).
>
> If an episode is shown out of sequence or dropped (I read this
> happened with jpod in Canada) does the episode number refer to the
> 'intended' broadcast order, or the 'actual' order? When the episode is
> shown at a later date, it's obviously best if the episode number is
> not the same as the original broadcast date.

What about shows where the network messed with the show's creator's
vision and screened the show out of order. Often these are released on
DVD in the "originally planned screening order", but usually there is
still controversy over what is "canon"

How should these be ordered? Original, but artistically flawed,
screening order? Or screening order subsequently shown on the DVD?

Not that I am saying MythTV should be able to fix all this, just that
its sometimes difficult to know the "right" order.