[mythtv-users] Skip issues on recordings only - where to look next?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jul 10 20:47:46 UTC 2008

On 07/10/2008 04:18 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2008, at 10:38 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> Nick Morrott wrote:
>>
>>> Those recordings have broken seektables, so you'll need to rebuild
>>> them via mythcommflag --rebuild.
>> Might it be possible to add a rebuild option to the menus sometime?
>> I see quite
>> a few messages on this list about broken seek tables, and being able
>> to fix one
>> on the fly instead of having to break out a command prompt and type
>> something
>> arcane would be a boon.
> You should never need to use it under normal operation which is why
> there isn't a menu item for it.
> However, you can always add it as a user job.
>
> Also, I don't see "mythcommflag --rebuild" as mysterious, secret or
> obscure. No more than ls or mkdir, anyway. ;)

Though I'd say that the specific combination of arguments, which differ
for different recordings--not to mention the fact that mythcommflag
--rebuild won't work on certain recordings and that mythtranscode
--buildindex must be used instead--tends to be a bit obscure.  ;)

So, basically, creating an "automatic" mechanism for rebuilding the
seektable for a recording would basically require rewriting the
seektable building code in mythcommflag and mythtranscode and making it
more failure proof.  On the bright side, however, there has been talk of
doing exactly this (and completely restructuring mythcommflag,
mythtranscode, and other "little" programs in Myth).

Not to mention the fact that once someone gets a bunch of recordings
whose seektables are broken (due to failing to run optimize_mythdb.pl in
a daily cron and recording many shows after the MySQL table crashed),
making them jump through hoops is the best encouragement we can give
them to configure their systems properly with the automatic database
maintenance.

Oh, and--assuming I get some time--database maintenance (analyze,
optimize, repair, and backup) will become fully automated in the next
few months (I'm hoping it will be complete before 0.22).  Once that
happens, the frequency of manual seektable building will decrease
tremendously--or so I hope.

Mike