[mythtv-users] Fun with FireWire

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Thu Jul 10 16:33:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 09:08:27AM -0500, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Dan Ritter <dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu>
> wrote:

> > > could you expand some on "erratic"?
> >
> > Missing recording files. System lock-up in one case.
>

> Sounds like a firewire chipset issue.  System lockups are usually driver or
> hardware issues, not software.  What board/chipset are you using.  I think
> there are some past threads about certain chipsets that people have found
> that "just work"

This is:

00:0b.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): NEC Corporation uPD72874 IEEE1394
OHCI 1.1 3-port PHY-Link Ctrlr (rev 01)

Which NewEgg and the box it came in advertised as being an Agere
chipset, which doesn't seem to be the case unless NEC is making
Agere clones.

-dsr-

When freedom gets lots of exercise, it protects itself.