[mythtv-users] XvMC and skipping forward locks frontend

Brian Sanders brian.sanders at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 11:40:35 UTC 2008

Hey everyone, been using Mythtv for a while now, and finally ran into a spot
where I might need some help from the list.  So as the subject might
suggest, I am working on getting XvMC working on my frontend to make HD
playback an option.  I have read over all the Nvidia/Wiki/google material I
can find, but I seem to be having a mythtv centered playback problem.

I can play files with mplayer using xvmc, and I can even play video files
from my videos directory if I tell mythtv to use mplayer.  When I try and
use "Internal" the playback does start seemingly smoothly, but as soon as I
try and skip forward or back, the entire system freezes requiring a power
cycle.  I am using this video file as a test before I start trying to record
HD programs and find out I can't play them.  I am assuming that recorded
programs need to use the internal player for commercial skipping, plus I
never saw an option to set what player is used for recorded programs.

So, I can play with xvmc if I launch mplayer from the terminal, OR if mythtv
is told to use mplayer.  Skipping around in the video is very smooth and
quick.  Since it plays with one application but not MythTV I am hoping
someone can help me out here.  This is an old machine (hence the xvmc) so
perhaps I will end up upgrading this machine and bypassing the entire xvmc
need... but honestly I keep fighting with this b/c I believe it "should"
work :)

Just incase this might help someone... here are some things I learned about
my setup while getting xvmc to even work at all.

If AGP is enabled (kernel or nvidia) standard recordings still play, but
xvmc fails to do anything.  I have tried setting both "NvAGP" for "1" and
"2" to force the module I was testing at the time, nothing works.  I now run
with AGP disabled "NvAGP" "0", and xvmc works with mplayer and tries to work
with myth.  While trying to make this work I have re-complied the nvidia
drivers to adjust the AGP speed down from 4x to 2x, and 1x.  I tested all
three modes (4x,2x,1x) with both Nvidia and kernel drivers with no better
results using any combination.  I confirmed that AGP setting where being
detected by using "cat /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status" which confirmed I
was actually running with the modules and speeds I was trying to test.  I
now accept that no AGP is the only way to get xvmc to run on my machine.

Setup:
Pentium 4 1.7Ghz
Gentoo with latest kernel (upgraded this as well trying to get xvmc agp to
work)
Nvidia Geforce 6200

My xorg.conf settings
Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Card0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "nVidia Corporation"
    BoardName      "NV20 [GeForce 6200]"
    Option         "UseEvents" "true"
    Option         "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"
    Option         "NvAGP" "0"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option "Composit" "Disabled"
EndSection

Thanks for any suggestions
Brian

--
"Faithless is he, who says 'farewell', when the path darkens
"you just keep on trying till you run out of cake"