[mythtv-users] The new Acer Aspire X1200 - $459, looks great, could be a combined FE/BE (jedi)

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Wed Jul 9 20:07:30 UTC 2008

> Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 11:43:48 -0500
> From: jedi <jedi at mishnet.org>

> On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 07:29:47PM -0000, Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>> > you build yourself because HTPC cases are mostly either expensive
>> > (most expensive component in the machine) or absolute junk.
>>
>> I don't know about that.  I have the Antec Fusion.  It's definitely NOT
>> junk and considering everything it comes with (VFD, digital control
>> knob,
>> silicone HDD mounts, dual 120mm cooling fans, 430w ps) $170 doesn't seem
>> that expensive.
>
>     $170 is remarkably expensive for a case of that size. It's well
> designed but doesn't really come with any parts that are inherently
> more expensive than the $50 cases that are selling next to it in the
> local Frys.
>
>     Sure, there are plenty of HTPC cases that are even MORE expensive.
> That still doesn't mean a Fusion is reasonably priced. The variant
> without the knob and VFD would make for a much better "counterexample".

Many of those $50 cases do not include a power supply.  The $170 Fusion
(too rich for me) and the $115 2480 do include power supplies whose value
is somewhere between $30 and $80, I'd guess.   So the case itself is $90 -
$140 for the Fusion and $35 - $85 for the 2485.  I still wish they were
cheaper (and smaller) but they're a better value than most of the decent
looking HTPC cases I've seen offered.

I use $30 to $80 because the power supplies are roughly equivalent to an
Antec Earthwatts 380 or 430.  Three weeks ago I saw the EW 430 at Frys for
$79.  The next week I saw it on Newegg for $30 after rebate.  Of course,
it was also inside the Antec Tower Frys was selling for $55.  But three
cases down the aisle they had the Antec P-180 w/o PS for $75, which is
irrelevant except that I wanted to mention what a good deal I got on the
case for my backend.  :-)

Power supply prices are all over the place.  It's easy to spend $100 -
$120 on a decent power supply or find the same supply on sale for under
$50.

Jeff Walther