[mythtv-users] The new Acer Aspire X1200 - $459, looks great, could be a combined FE/BE

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 17:32:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> Yup, clothes do make the man, or in this case (no pun intended) the
> computer.
>
> A cool-looking case is worth nothing to me, but it seems to be worth a lot
> many folks. I'm more interested in good thermal design, and a lot of fancy
> cases seem to have passed that up in favor of "cool" designs.
>
> But Myth users are very mild in this regard, look at some of the "gaming"
> cases. I actually saw an ad stating you would "devour your enemies" because
> of the special design features of their case, anyone who would believe that
> is, well, a gamer :-)
>
> beww

You guys are, for the most part, comparing apples to oranges.

When I made the original post I wasn't saying, "Hey guys, here's the end-all
be-all HTPC setup that will destroy all comers". All I meant was, here's
(IMHO) a great price for something that could be used as a combo FE and BE
in your living room without sounding like a jet engine or looking _too much_
like a computer.

My original post was brief - I was at work and had limited time - but I
didn't mean for this to come off sounding like it was the Second Coming or
something. You may be able to build something cheaper. This is almost always
the case with computers these days. But if you want to build something
comparable in size, power and capability, you're going to spend hours
researching and testing your options. Or you could just buy one of these and
(theoretically) be done with it. There's nothing wrong with the former or
the latter, I've built my own PC since I got into this business. But
something it's easier to just Set it and Forget it.

And for everyone saying to just buy a Mini - For $450 you might be able to
get a refurbed Core2Duo, but you're only going to get a gig of ram, an 80GB
drive, no HDMI and zero expandability. It's not quite the same thing.