[mythtv-users] transcoding widescreen recordings

Shawn Flynn sflynn1 at rogers.com
Wed Jul 9 17:20:42 UTC 2008

From: Peter VanDerWal on July 9, 2008 5:33 AM
>From: Shawn Flynn on July 9, 2008
>> Like you, in the meantime, I've created a workaround that suits me
>> well enough for now. I run a userjob on the letterboxed 4:3 shows
>> which crops the top and bottom 60 lines off the recording and resets
>> the aspect ratio to
>> 16:9 leaving all the other video codec parameters the same as the
>> original file. What I end up with is a 720x360 16:9 mpg2 recording
>> that looks almost identical to the original (sans black bars). I then
>> insert the transcoded file in place of the original, run a commflag
>> --rebuild, and mythtranscode
>> --mpeg2 for good measure, and set the 'widescreen' flag in the
>> database in place of the 'hdtv' flag (just to satisfy my OCD). The
>> script can be found at
>> http://shawnflynn.com/2008/07/06/removing-letterboxing-in-mythtv/ if
>> anybody is interested in using/improving it.
>>

> Wow!  I just hit W a couple times.
> But then again, I'm not interested in keeping any TV shows after I've
watched them.

LOL. I suppose that is an option, but it wouldn't satisfy my aformentioned
OCD ;)

I'm not interested in keeping shows after I watch them either. This is just
so that the fill ratio is correct when I sit down to watch a show without me
needing to fiddle with the fill menu (no room for a 'w' key on my remote of
choice). The userjob automatically runs after the show has been recorded and
by the time I sit down to watch it everything looks right with no
intervention from me.

Shawn Flynn