[mythtv-users] The new Acer Aspire X1200 - $459, looks great, could be a combined FE/BE

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Jul 9 16:43:48 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 07:29:47PM -0000, Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> > you build yourself because HTPC cases are mostly either expensive
> > (most expensive component in the machine) or absolute junk.
>
> I don't know about that.  I have the Antec Fusion.  It's definitely NOT
> junk and considering everything it comes with (VFD, digital control knob,
> silicone HDD mounts, dual 120mm cooling fans, 430w ps) $170 doesn't seem
> that expensive.

    $170 is remarkably expensive for a case of that size. It's well designed
but doesn't really come with any parts that are inherently more expensive than
the $50 cases that are selling next to it in the local Frys.

    Sure, there are plenty of HTPC cases that are even MORE expensive. That
still doesn't mean a Fusion is reasonably priced. The variant without the
knob and VFD would make for a much better "counterexample".

    That's also a very big chunk of a target system cost of $550.

    It's also still very large for an A/V component. Although the original
box under discussion probably has the same problem.