[mythtv-users] Copyright Legislation in Canada

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 16:00:57 UTC 2008

2008/7/9 Alen Edwards <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com>:

> Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Someone made a statement that mythtv is completely legal, which is my
> position.  In addition, it has no code that allows anything illegal
> anywhere, again my position.

That should probably be qualified with 'in the United States', as the laws
regarding time shifting of broadcast works are quite wide and varied around
the world. (eg, as I understand it it was technically illegal in the UK up
until the amendments made in the communications act of 2003; however this
just made something that was previously unenforcable explicitly legal.)

It is however possible that there are areas of the planet where time
shifting of any kind is illegal, and in this case use of myth would be
illegal.

(I am not a lawyer however. ;) )

Ian