[mythtv-users] The new Acer Aspire X1200 - $459, looks great, could be a combined FE/BE

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Wed Jul 9 15:43:20 UTC 2008

> Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 19:29:47 -0000 (GMT)
> From: "Peter VanDerWal" <peter at vanderwal.us>

>> you build yourself because HTPC cases are mostly either expensive (most
>> expensive component in the machine) or absolute junk.
>
> I don't know about that.  I have the Antec Fusion.  It's definitely NOT
> junk and considering everything it comes with (VFD, digital control knob,
> silicone HDD mounts, dual 120mm cooling fans, 430w ps) $170 doesn't seem
> that expensive.

If you don't need or want the VFD display nor the control knob you can get
the  nearly identical Antec NSK2480 for $115.

$115 for a nicely designed HTPC case seems a positive bargain after
browsing the other options.  My only complaint is that the Fusion and 2480
are a bit large.   But to use the slow quiet 120mm fans they need to be
large--or at least 120 mm tall.

Do folks really find the VFD very useful?   It looks like an additional
configuration headache for not much real return to me, but then, I'm still
in the research phase, not the experience phase.

Jeff Walther