[mythtv-users] Copyright Legislation in Canada

Daniel Buijs dbuijs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 10:28:20 UTC 2008

Currently most aspects of MythTV are legal in Canada. I would like
very much for it to stay legal. However, under the proposed C-61 the
following aspects of MythTV would become illegal in Canada:

Keeping the original recording after transcoding.
Archiving recordings.
Keeping recordings after watching them more than once.
Watching DVDs (All DVDs have CSS on them. de-CSS would be considered
circumvention technology)
Ripping DVDs to your hard drive
Depending on your remote control, programming your universal remote
control.
For HD programming, recording any program with a "Broadcast Flag"

While it's true there is a private copying levy in Canada, this only
allows the copying of music files.

Believe it or not, it's actually worse than DMCA. Under DMCA in the
US you still have Fair Use provisions. If this bill is passed, you
will have no Fair Dealing rights on digital media.

I don't know about you, but I really don't appreciate it when the
government proposes legislation on something they clearly don't
really understand and it turns me and millions of other Canadians
into criminals.