[mythtv-users] Help on playing a CD without a screen, several satellite dishes and PSU's

Peter VanDerWal peter at vanderwal.us
Tue Jul 8 18:34:16 UTC 2008

> I want one box (not back/front end), that I can also use as a general PC
> for internet and maybe some games for the kids etc.

If it's not a backend, and it's not a frontend, then it's not a MythTV box.
Sounds like you just want a linux box (much easier to install)

> 1.    I would want to be able to play a CD without having to have the
> TV/monitor on, ideally knowing which track I was on - I'm assuming this is
> possible, but is it possible with all cases/remotes? Do only some of the
> cases with displays show CD track info? The cases with built in screens
> would push the price too high for me.

You can buy the displays (LCD or VFD) separately from the case, but they
tend to be expensive.  I.e. the VFD that Antec uses is about $95, but the
Antec Fusion case with VFD, low noise fans, and high efficiency power
supply only costs $170.
Plus the case has a nice big knob on the front you can use to change
tracks, etc.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129029

> 2.    I have a sky dish, and two other dishes (which I inherited), so
> currently have a sky box and another box dealing with the other 2 dishes.
> I would want two cards with freeview (so I can watch and record different
> channels), but are there recommended cards that could also replace the sky
> box and/or the other satellite decoder box as well?
> I also have an analogue camcorder and lots of VHS tapes I would want to be
> able to capture.
> Is there a practical way to do all this in one box, or would it be more
> trouble/cost than it is worth?

Sure it's doable.  The cost/trouble decision is personal and only you can
decide that.
For the camcorder/VHS I like the Hauppauge capture cards, and they seem to
be the prefered capture cards.  Very well supported.  Hauppauge even makes
a USB capture device that encodes directly to MPEG2 before sending it
across the USB cable.  It is also supported.

> 3.     A lot of systems/cases I've seen specc'ed have power supplies rated
> about <400W. Last time I built a PC I used a 650W PSU to ensure I had
> enough power for several drives/cards etc. 300-400W seems to be OK now -
> has hardware become less power hungry in the last few years!?

Generally, people who build Myth boxes don't want to listen to a lot of
loud fans.  This means that you typically pick items that generate less
heat, which means they draw less power.  Less heat means you can run
slower fans, which generate less noise.

There are Myth boxes out there that draw less than 50 watts.

FWIW I have the Antec Fusion case that I linked above.  It comes with a
430W ps, and the fans on it are so quiet that I can't hear them (in a
quiet room) from more than about 3 feet away.