[mythtv-users] hauppauge hvr-1800 very low volume

genius9976 at yahoo.com genius9976 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 15:02:16 UTC 2008

----- Original Message ----

From: Alen Edwards <allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com>
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>; genius9976 at yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, July 7, 2008 10:27:29 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] hauppauge hvr-1800 very low volume

genius9976 at yahoo.com wrote:
> I don't think that worked...
>
> [scott at mythback ~]$ aplay -l
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> [scott at mythback ~]$ iecset audio 1
> control "IEC958 Playback Default" (index -1) not found
>

> I tried as root and got the same thing...

Well, I think I told you the wrong thing.  I am sorry for the confusion.
  I was going by memory.  I really need to be more careful before posting.

Let's try one more thing:

iecset audio 0
iecset -x

I would certainly expect that you would see this:
$ iecset -x
AES0=0x02,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x00,AES3=0x02

Because we have the same chipset.

If doing the above allows music to play temporarily, you will have the
same problem as this guy:
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2008-March/216382.html

He didn't get a response but his problem may be your solution as you may
not have the same goal he did.

Also, you might write him and see if he solved it.

Since your sound chip is the same as mine by the way.  It is strange it
is behaving differently.  We just need to figure out what the difference
is.  I think you also said you have Mythbuntu 8.04 so that would be the
same as well.

Allen

Something weird must be going on...

[scott at mythback ~]$ iecset audio 0
control "IEC958 Playback Default" (index -1) not found
[scott at mythback ~]$ iecset -x
control "IEC958 Playback Default" (index -1) not found

I'm
actually using Fedora 9 which comes with PulseAudio (could that be the
problem?).  However, even when my computer is not set to output sound
through PulseAudio I still get the above error.  One time when I tried
to run "iecset audio 1" via ssh I did get some weird error about not
being able to connect to the PulseAudio server or something like that,
but I haven't been able to reproduce that error locally.  I have always
been able to play everything I've wanted to, but over spdif, myth seems
to be a quieter program, and with digital recordings being quieter than
analog, they are not quite loud enough with everything turned all the
way up.