[mythtv-users] Could help me to get widescreen on my system?

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 08:06:25 UTC 2008

Alen Edwards wrote:
> Damian wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've just upgraded my hardware and OS to Ubuntu 8.04.
>>
>> With my old system, I managed (with a lot of help) to get widescreen
>> output sent to my projector. This worked fine using my 5200 card in
>> Ubuntu 7.10. Here's the xorg.conf file that finally got the resolution
>> working properly ...
>> http://www.gingermagic.co.uk/tmp/xorg.conf-was-fine-in-7.10 ... however,
>> I never knew where that modline came from that finally worked.
>>
>> Things seem to have changed a bit in xorg when I look at the file in 8.04.
>> Here's the clean file I had from a fresh install:
>> http://www.gingermagic.co.uk/tmp/xorg.conf-default-clean-install
>>
>> and here's the file I'm currently using (generated by the nvidia
>> settings app:
>> http://www.gingermagic.co.uk/tmp/xorg.conf
>>
>> I've tried to add in the relevant bits from the old file into the new
>> file, but it didn't work.
>>
>> I know that I can feed my projector 1280x720 as I finally did it (after
>> months of thinking there was no way to do it!) with the 5200 card.
>>
>> I'm currently using a 7300GT card with DVI (same cable as I used with
>> the 5200 card.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me what I need to do and where I need to check for
>> problems if it doesn't work?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Damian
>>

> Have you tried just using your old xorg.conf file as it was when it worked?
>
> I was having a problem with my 1280x720 projector.  My problem was that
> the projector is capable or receiving 1080 input but it looks terrible.
>   The driver saw that capability and sent that instead of the native
> 720.   What I did was remove all modes except the 1280x720 one.  Now
> xorg.conf has no choice but to use 720 as the input.
>
> Allen

I think I did try that and it didn't work, but I'll try again. What log
would be useful for me to post if it doesn't work? I know that just
saying 'it doesn't work' is no use to anyone!

Also, I was thinking that there might be a more elegant way to get the
resolution with the newer looking xorg file and latest nvidia drivers.
The xorg file I had working before seemed like a real hatchet job and I
was always a bit unsure of the modline I was using. It seemed to work,
but I don't know where it came from and I don't know how suited it is to
my projector (BenQ W100).

Damian