[mythtv-users] Anyone try a Kworld PlusTV hd pci 120?

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Mon Jul 7 20:59:46 UTC 2008

> Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 12:15:08 -0500
> From: stuart <stuart at xnet.com>

> Jeff Walther wrote:
>>> Message: 22
>>> Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 19:59:43 -0500
>>> From: stuart <stuart at xnet.com>
>>
>>> Anyone try a Kworld PlusTV hd pci 120?
>>
>> IIRC, the chipset
>> involved is different from the ATSC 100 and ATSC 115.
>
> Yes, you are right.  The Kworld ATSC 110 (that's what you meant, right?)

Yes, I meant to type ATSC 110 there.  Apparently the right hand jumped in
and preempted the left hand's '1' with an extra '0'.

>> Of course, that doesn't mean that there isn't someone somewhere who does
>> have it working and either hasn't posted about it, or whose posting I
>> have
>> not found.
>
> I haven't found anything either.

I found this:
<http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/KWorld_ATSC_120>
but I thought I found it from a link you posted in an earlier message in
this thread, so I would assume you've already seen it.

>> However, at $35 each it is hard to
>> beat the ATSC 115 right now, unless  you need hardware MPEG2 encoding.

> The 120 has hardware MPEG2 encoding?  Where does it say that on the box?

Whoaaaaaa.   Sorry for the unclear context.  I meant, that in a general
sense, if one wants a TV Tuner card, it is hard to beat the ATSC 115 at
Newegg, unless one needs hardware MPEG2 encoding in the tuner card.   I
did not mean that the KWorld 120 includes that feature.

But it would be cool to pay a bit more and have FM tuning too.  On the
other hand, so many radio stations stream on the internet now, I'm not
sure if an FM tuner really adds much real functionality.

I'm building my system for fun and to adapt to the new broadcast standards
coming next Feb.  All our local stations are available in OTA digital now
so the only need I could have for analog is to convert old VHS tapes to
something that MythTV can store and play for us. (I assume the E7200 in
the backend will have enough power to do that from the 115's frame grabber
function.) We do not have cable or satellite.  So an (actually four) ATSC
tuner card for $35 looks very nice compared to the other options out
there.

At first my sole purpose was to adapt to the change, but since I appear to
be spending the cost of 2 years worth of cable on this system, I'm finding
it hard to justify as an economical way of making time shifting more
convenient under the new regime.  So it must be for fun.

The digital tuner boxes being sold through the government coupons include
no timer function, so timed VCR operation becomes problematical.  Hence,
the desire for MythTV.  I already had 1/2 mile of Cat5 and RP6 in the
walls and attic...