[mythtv-users] Stability of debian-multimedia.org testing (Lenny) packages.

george.smith at arcor.de george.smith at arcor.de
Mon Jul 7 17:16:53 UTC 2008

Fred,

I have a master backend on debian etch and a slave backend on debian lenny. To help you intepret my input, let me say that I'm very new to mythtv and also new to debian. My previous linux experience was with red hat in a work environment.

I have found it extremely easy to set up mythtv on both etch and lenny. I originally used stable (etch) for my first backend because I was worried testing (lenny) might be too unstable. I think I didn't really understand the nature of the distinction between stable and testing and what that means for my situation. I don't have a production environment here that dozens of people depend on for their livelyhood. I have a very fun toy for myself and my kids. I decided on using testing (lenny) for my slave backend for two reasons. First, I can compile the newest v4l-dvb drivers on lenny, but I can't on etch. Two of my dvb-t devices need recent v4l-dvb drivers that at time of writing won't compile under etch. Second, there are some newer tools unrelated to myth that I wanted that are available on lenny, and I use the slave backend as a desktop machine for lots of different things. I haven't had any problems related to lenny being testing as opposed to stable. To the contrary, it has made one thing easier. Admittedly, I haven't been doing this long and just have my naive impressions to go on rather than real knowledge. But the fact that I've been able to quickly and (relatively) easily get mythtv running on both says something. If there ever comes a point where the mythtv packages for stable and testing become mutually incompatible, I imagine I'll probably settle on testing for both machines.

George