[mythtv-users] Please help! My mythbackend started to crash sporadically

Andrew Junev a-j at a-j.ru
Mon Jul 7 16:09:07 UTC 2008

Friday, July 4, 2008, 12:18:13 PM, you wrote:

> 2008/7/2 Andrew Junev <a-j at a-j.ru>:

>> Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 7:58:26 PM, you wrote:
>> [snip]
>>

>> I can, of course, leave memtest running for a longer time (like a day
>> or two). But I suppose it won't find any problems... Is there some
>> other way to make sure it's a hardware issue (if it is)?
>>

> It sounds like a hardware issue, and it does sound like memory.

> You may need to keep memtest running for a few days, I've had it report
> memory as bad after 40 odd hours. (Random crashes too.)

Hi All,

I just wanted to share some good news with you. I was about to replace
my RAM modules with the new ones just to check if it will change the
behavior. But first I decided to see if there are any updates
available.

Luckily, there was a new bulild (191) of mythtv packages on atrpms!
After installation of these packages my system is working without
crashes for more than 3 days now!

So I would say it wasn't a hardware problem but it was rather a
software issue. Strangely this issue didn't affect majority of
Fedora / ATRPMs users (I think). Anyway, I think my problem now seem
to be solved, although I still don't know it's real cause.

These are the MythTV packages I now have installed:

# rpm -qa |grep mythtv
mythtv-0.21-191.fc8
mythtv-backend-0.21-191.fc8
libmythtv-0.20.2_0-0.20.2-175.fc8
mythtv-frontend-0.21-191.fc8
mythtv-setup-0.21-191.fc8
mythtv-themes-0.21-191.fc8
libmythtv-0.21_0-0.21-191.fc8
mythtv-docs-0.21-191.fc8

Previously I had version *-0.21-190.fc8 - the one that gave me
sporadic crashes of mythbackend.

--
Best regards,
 Andrew