[mythtv-users] A General Directions Question

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Jul 7 11:29:23 UTC 2008

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 05, 2008 at 05:44:18PM -0400, steve wrote:
>> Im sure some people (like me) use the same email account for everything.
>> I find it a pain to keep switching back and forth between html mail when
>> I have something I want to forward someone else or send something to
>> someone thats a say a picture or graphics and not to a mailing list.  Im
>> completely guessing here, but probably close ..99% of the world uses
>> html mail and the small majority like mailing lists that do not, its a
>> problem. (ive learned to deal with it) I agree that when posting to
>> lists it should be text, but I sometimes too forget what I am configured
>> to send as html because I switch back and forth many times a day.
>
> I would posit that, of the non-spam mail in the world, more than 50% of
> it -- by individual message count -- is mailing list mail.
>
> So, no, probably not 99%.
>
> And aside from that, HTML mail is *bad*, on so many levels.
>
> 	http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

Agreed. I use Thunderbird, and I turned off HTML almost as soon as I could once
I discovered all the garbage I was getting from the retail outfits I buy from
on-line.

*Everything* I get is received in plain-text, and I haven't had a single problem
so far. Bonus, if any dodgy spam does creep through the filters it won't
activate any scripts etc and cause me grief. So, for me, HTML mail is just plain
unnecessary.

You want to send pictures, forward stuff? Attachments still work, and don't
force the receiver to display possibly NSFW inline graphics, but leave them on
file until they choose to access them.

--

Mike Perkins