[mythtv-users] hauppauge hvr-1800 very low volume

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Mon Jul 7 06:40:34 UTC 2008

genius9976 at yahoo.com wrote:
> On my old system my speakers were attached via analog.  On my current
> box, they are attached via spdif.  However, when I just output audio via
> the headphones, digital recordings are still quieter, though I think the
> problem is not as bad.  In fact, using headphones, the difference
> between myth and other programs disappears, though the difference
> between analog and digital recording remains.  I guess myth is sending
> quieter audio than other programs digitally, but not via analog.  Why
> would that be?  In alsa mixer (and master and pcm mixer volume in the
> myth audio setting) everything is turned up all the way.  Also, I think
> I'm using pulse audio.  I do not have the ac3/dts to spdif passthrough
> options enabled (I haven't been able to get them to work).

I would be curious if the setup that worked for me on Mythbuntu 8.04
works for you.  I get similar level bit pure spdif output for TV and
Music.  Nothing else that was recommended or in any of the wiki gave me
this.

Try this:

Audio output device:  ALSA:spdif
Passthrough output device:  ALSA:iec958:(AESO 0x02)
Max Audio Channels:  Stereo
Upmix: passive
Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough  CHECKED
Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough  CHECKED
Use internal volume NOT CHECKED
Aggressive sound  NOT CHECKED

/etc/X11/asound.conf   REMOVED (or renamed)
~/.asouncrc   REMOVED  (or renamed)

Also, if you issue these commands:
iecset audio 1
iecset -x

You should see AES0 0x02 somewhere in this last output.  If you don't,
you might want to try changing the Passthrough to whatever your card says.

Let me know what happens.

Allen