[mythtv-users] Need help installing video capture card with no tuner.

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Mon Jul 7 04:05:32 UTC 2008

Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Brad DerManouelian
> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>
>>> I am beginning to think you are correct.  I am really surprised.  Even
>>> an old VCR can capture a video input.  I would think that would be a
>>> basic item.  I guess I am wrong.
>> You aren't using an old VCR. I would guess a VERY high percentage of
>> people on this list have no use for plugging in a video source,
>> hitting record and watching the video back later. If they do, they use
>> something much simpler. cat /dev/video. :)
>
> Then again there are some people who want such a thing. Many people
> want to capture legacy analogue video to their mythbox. This thread
> may help the OP:

> (search for 'dummy composite' without the quotes and you'll find other threads.)

Wow, thanks for the input.  I had given up hope until your post.

I see that 3 to 5 years ago, people managed to do this.  I also see that
all you have to do it manually edit mysql,  No don't edit mysql.  Wait,
you can record with R, no with the timer.

Wait, all you have to do is start the setup program and answer no to the
first two questions (from 4 years ago).  Any chance these are the same
questions?

You know, I am a little gun shy about hacking my data base based on a
post from 4 years ago.  I remember that movie...  I have spent hours
recovering from such foolishness.

Really, I appreciate the post as it brings hope that this will work.  I
am just a little frustrated at how hard this is and how much you have to
fight it to make anything work.

I will work on this more later in the week.  IN the mean time, if anyone
knows how to really do this, today, on today's version of myth and is
willing to share, please let everyone know.  These posts are very old
and contain conflicting advice.

If I have to figure this out, I will post how to do it step my step just
as I have with the other work I have done.  It is fun to help others.
And, of course, I appreciate the help I get from this list.

So, if you know the steps to do this, and take the trouble to write them
down, I thank you in advance -- and I will thank you again after as well.

Allen