[mythtv-users] Myth, Jack & resampling

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Sun Jul 6 14:34:28 UTC 2008

Dave,

"I think it's time for me to give up bit-perfect audio with the via
chipset. I've been considering new hardware anyway, I'll see if any of
the on-board audio chipsets support bit-perfect output, "

When you start looking around, look for the dsp chip.  The relevant chip
on the Riviera is a CMI-8738.  IIRC, m-audio uses CMI chips, too.  I'm
sure there are other chips which will handle the 44.1KHz for spdif, but
Via and Creative (SoundBlaster) typically don't.

Unfortunately, you may not be able to find a mobo mounted sound "card"
which will support bit perfect audio; or at least on a mobo which has
all the other stuff you want. With cards like the Riviera selling for
$20-30, you might have to purchase the sound card separately.

.... I haven't tried or checked out the newest USB sound card
"thingies."  That might be a good solution if you can find one to
support BPA. Also, you might check out the forums on this web site:
http://www.avsforum.com
Scroll down to the audio, home theater, etc. forums.  Also the search
functions there are a big help.

Good luck,

Joe Henley