[mythtv-users] UK Freesat EPG / EIT offset by an hour?

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Sun Jul 6 12:36:54 UTC 2008

Robert wrote:
> On Thu, July 3, 2008 8:36 am, Nick Morrott wrote:
>> On 03/07/2008, Robert <RobertCL at iname.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>  I've applied the patch at http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5365 to get
>>>  the EPG for the Freesat channels working.
>>>
>>>  So far I've only enabled it for the channels that I can't get from the
>>>  radio times xmltv feed (which I already had setup)
>>>
>>>  It seems to be working (in that I'm getting some listings data) but I
>>>  think the EIT data is an hour out.  For ITV3 (which I get from xmltv)
>>> and
>>>  ITV3+1 (which I'm getting from EIT) the listings are the same at the
>>> same
>>>  time (the +1 channel should be an hour later).
>> ITV3 +1 is available from uk_rt now :)
>
> Really!  Thats good, whats it called? I've just run the grabber with
> --list-channels and grep'd for itv3 (and itv), but I don't see anything
> that looks like ITV3+1
>
> robert at quad ~ $ cat linux-tv/channelListRt |grep -i itv3
>   <channel id="itv3.itv.co.uk">
>     <display-name>ITV3</display-name>
>     <display-name>ITV3</display-name>
>     <icon src="http://www.lyngsat-logo.com/logo/tv/ii/itv3.jpg" />
>

> robert at quad ~ $ tv_grab_uk_rt --version
> XMLTV module version 0.5.50
> This is tv_grab_uk_rt.in version 1.121, 2007/11/04 04:49:16
>

>>>  It's difficult to tell for the other channels I'm using EIT for as I
>>> don't
>>>  have another source of listings to compare with and I don't
>>> particularly
>>>  want to switch all my channels over to EIT to find out because then all
>>> my
>>>  listings data might end up being an hour off!
>>>
>>>  Has anyone else seen this problem?  Or is there something I've got
>>>  configured incorrectly?
>> What do you have your grabber timezones set to in mythtv-setup?
>
> Do you mean the offset in the channel setup?  I've got all those set to 0
> as it says they only affect data direct.
>
> Or is there another timezone setting that I'm missing?  I did have a look
> through all the frontend and backend setup menus last night but I didn't
> see anything obvious.
>
> Robert.

I finally worked out what was wrong with this - my timezone setup was
wrong on the backend server.  The output of 'date' reported that my
timezone was GMT, when it should have been BST.  I changed this by
updating /etc/localtime to point to /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London.

Which makes sense as it probably wasn't taking summertime into account
when inserting the EIT data and so everything would have been an hour out.

Coincidentally, changing this also fixed a problem whereby I couldn't
play recordings from a remote frontend!?

Robert.