[mythtv-users] OT: Re: HDMI_SPDIF directly to reciever

James bjlockie at lockie.ca
Sun Jul 6 04:21:28 UTC 2008

Alen Edwards wrote:
> James wrote:
>> OTAlen Edwards wrote:

>>> You should read 0 volts with a S/PDIF signal.  They are 0 volts DC
>>> and the AC is too high a frequency for my and apparently your
>>> voltmeter to read.  If  you had a TTL signal, you would register
>>> about 2 volts with the VM set to DC.  If your RX expects 5 volts and
>>> your MB reads 0, I would guess it would work and you won't hurt
>>> anything (don't sue me, I can't pay anyway).
>>>

>>> Allen
>>>
>>> .
>>>
>> I bought a new meter and it says 1.4V DC :-(
>> I put a picture up at: http://lockie.ca/test/voltage.jpg but I doubt
>> it is very helpful.
>>
>> So if my RX expects 5V (DC?) and it is getting 1.4V DC and I have
>> sound, do I need the circuit?
>> TTL is +5V, and SPDIF is -.5 to +.5V so what is my MB outputting?
>>

> That is more like it.  This indicates that you have a TTL signal on
> the MB, as I do.  A TTL signal is going to go between almost 0 and
> something above 2 volts, let's say 3 volts.  The signal is going to be
> low (0 volts) half the time and high (3 volts) half the time so the DC
> value will measure half way between the two or about 1.5 volts.  This
> is not an exact number but it is not 0 VDC, which is what you would
> measure with a spdif signal.
>
> I would bet that your Rx expects spdif levels of larger than .2 volts
> and less than something.  You say it can take up to 5 volts, which
> again I would double check if I were you.  If that is correct, then
> you should be OK.
>
> When I was faced with exactly this situation, I built the network.  I
> would not be worried about sending too little signal in your situation
> but rather double check that you are not sending too much.  It may be
> just fine, it all depends on the details of the circuits involved.
>
> Allen

I was first thinking of hooking my DVD player SPDIF up to my receiver.
Here is what I asked Yamaha:
> The voltage output from the 2 pin S/PDIF on my cdrom may be 5V or it may
> be .5V.
> What voltage does the digital coaxial input of the receiver expect?

Their answer was:
> Hello, typical voltage is 5 volts.

I will ask this:
I am hooking up a computer motherboard SPDIF/HDMI which is a TTL signal
to http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/ht/rxv1000.html
so I need to know the minimum and maximum voltage the coaxial digital
input of the receiver will accept.