[mythtv-users] Need help installing video capture card with no tuner.

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Jul 6 00:36:59 UTC 2008

On Jul 5, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Alen Edwards wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> On Jul 5, 2008, at 3:41 PM, allen edwards wrote:
>>
>>> 2) Video source.    I want to record a VCR output.
>>
>> Why are you using MythTV for this capture device if all you want to
>> do
>> is play back from a VCR and capture the output to a file?
>> Surely cat /dev/video > video.mpg is a much simpler way to accomplish
>> this.
>>
>> MythTV assumes you want to record, well.. TV. It's even in the
>> name. :)
>>
> Well, I lied.  I actually want to record shows off my Dish Networks
> STB.
>  However, I am going to set the channels manually (or with the timer
> in
> the Dish STB) so I though describing it as a VCR would get the point
> across that there were no channels.  I guess I was wrong.
>
> Maybe what you are saying is that one way or another Myth expects to
> be
> setting the channels and there is no video input setting. If that is
> the
> case, I would need to trick it some way.

Even this way, typing cat /dev/video > video.mpg is way easier than
what you're trying to accomplish. :)

Or you could set it up the way it was meant to be set up. With a
listing grabber for Dish network and an IR blaster to change the
channel on the STB. :)
Sometimes the answer is to do it right instead of trying to trick it.