[mythtv-users] Audio/video sync problems with some YouTube videos on Mythstream

C.T. Paterson i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 18:57:11 UTC 2008

2008/6/26 C.T. Paterson <i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com>:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm running Mythbuntu 8.04, and have been having some problems
> watching YouTube videos.  On initial install, the videos wouldn't play
> at all, but I've dealt with that by using the fix posted here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/+bug/223781
>
> Now I have an issue in that for many YouTube videos, the audio is
> several steps ahead of the video.  To give some examples;
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1JYqI0NfUg  works fine, but
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQL_t_sjL4c does not.
>
> Anyone know what might be the cause of this?  Is there anything I can
> do from my end?

Ultimately, I haven't found anything that will prevent the issue from
occurring - but when it does, I've found a means to deal with it.

Mythstream is using mplayer to play the videos, and the A-V sync can
be controlled with the "+" and "-" keys.  In my case, my mythbox is
solely controlled with an Hauppauge remote, so I've had to remap some
buttons to do the trick.

The CH/PG up and down buttons don't do anything in mplayer, and they
seemed suitable options, so I remapped those.

In the front end, select Setup -> Edit Keys -> Stream, and bind the
CH/PG up and down buttons to AVDEC and AVINC.

Now, when I play a stream that's out of sync, I can just hit the
buttons on my remote until it all lines up again.

Big thanks to Eric for steering me to success.

Cheers.

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
 -- Thomas Paine