[mythtv-users] Spdif output problem solved

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sat Jul 5 09:07:08 UTC 2008

I just solved a problem I was having with my spdif output and wanted to
share with the group.

I use spdif outputs for all my sound.  I have two external sound
processors on two spdif outputs from my MB.  One feeds stereo to my TV
and one feeds 5.1 surround to my sound system.

The problem I was having was that while digital passthrough worked with
both decoders, things like audio play and web page streaming audio only
worked on one of the processors.

I solved this by doing the following:
1) Removed my /etc/asound.conf file that was created per the digital
sound wiki
2) Set the default audio device to ALSA:spdif

I have Mythbuntu 8.04
ASUS M3A with Intel High Definition Audio and onboard S/PDIF outputs

I hope this helps others.

Allen