[mythtv-users] HDMI_SPDIF directly to reciever

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sat Jul 5 05:16:51 UTC 2008

James wrote:
> Roo wrote:
>
>> 2008/7/5 James Lockie <bjlockie at lockie.ca>:
>>

>>> There is 0 volts on the RCA.
>>>
>>> Why do I get sound if there is a zero volt signal?
>>> I tested my voltmeter on a battery to verify it works.
>>>

>> James,
>>
>> If your voltmeter is on a DC range and the output is bipolar, +0.5V
>> and -0.5V then that will "average" out to 0V. This is irrespective of
>> the data travelling over the spdif as it is Manchester Coded.
>>
>> Try an AC range on the voltmeter if you have one.
>>

> AC is 3 something.
> So if my receiver expects 5V and it is getting less, am I hurting it?
>

>> HTH,
>>
>> Roo.

If you are getting 0 DC and 3AC, I am surprised.  I would expect it to
be the other way around (0AC and 2-3DC).  No matter, less it good and
your receiver is probably saying it can take anything up to 5 volts and
it can probably take much less, like maybe .1 volts.  Some people on
this list have said their equipment works all the way to .025 volts.  I
would double check your numbers and readings then try it.

Allen