[mythtv-users] HDMI_SPDIF directly to reciever

Alen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Sat Jul 5 05:09:12 UTC 2008

James Lockie wrote:
> Alen Edwards wrote:
>>

>> James Lockie wrote:

>>> Am I risking frying my motherboard or receiver?

>> You certainly are risking frying the receiver.  If that goes, there
>> is a small chance it could take out the MB.
>>
>> Build the network or buy the adapter.
>>
>> Allen
> Yamaha said my receiver expects 5 volts.
> ASRock never answered (that was a month ago).
>
> There is 0 volts on the RCA.
>
> Why do I get sound if there is a zero volt signal?
> I tested my voltmeter on a battery to verify it works.

You should read 0 volts with a S/PDIF signal.  They are 0 volts DC and
the AC is too high a frequency for my and apparently your voltmeter to
read.  If  you had a TTL signal, you would register about 2 volts with
the VM set to DC.  If your RX expects 5 volts and your MB reads 0, I
would guess it would work and you won't hurt anything (don't sue me, I
can't pay anyway).

Allen