[mythtv-users] HDMI_SPDIF directly to reciever

Peter VanDerWal peter at vanderwal.us
Fri Jul 4 17:49:23 UTC 2008

> Why do I get sound if there is a zero volt signal?
> I tested my voltmeter on a battery to verify it works.

Not every mobo produces TTL levels on the S/PDIF header. Some produce -.5
to +.5

My ASUS S/PDIF module has no components between the RCA connetor and the
mobo header, just wire and PCB traces.
Since it produces the correct levels, it must be doing in on the mobo.

To answer your question.  Assuming the output is swinging between -.5 and
+.5 the average DC voltage is zero.  If your voltmeter is set for DC then
it will read 0V.  Set it on AC and it will probably indicate something
near 1V