[mythtv-users] ATI (I know, I know) Issues

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 15:53:08 UTC 2008

On 04/07/2008, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 07/04/2008 10:23 AM, Chris Keegan wrote:
>  > ATI, I
>  > know was not the right decision but back then I was young and optimistic
>  > (naive).
>

> Anymore, the NVIDIA is the only way to go rule of thumb may not hold.
>  The newest ATI drivers are, well, let's just say better.

For SDTV, X.org's radeon/ati driver have performed just fine for me on
several machines (some having integrated video) which did not require
TV-out. For the one machine that was to be connected to our main TV, I
built a VGA-SCART cable to allow me to use the VGA ouptut (ATI cards
do posses the ability to run the dotclock very slow). The newest ATI
card I have now is the Radeon 9700 in my old laptop :)

The 2004-vintage fglrx did rather suck on my Radeon 9100IGP Pundit-R
system. ATI is now releasing a lot more specs to get their more recent
cards well-supported, and this is a good thing (no XvMC support
though, AFAIK). As Mike alluded to, their proprietary drivers are also
much improved, so the landscape has changed somewhat over the past few
years.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: