[mythtv-users] Skipping oddness.... or "It's a feature not a bug"

William william_munson at comcast.net
Fri Jul 4 10:30:19 UTC 2008

Ray Whiteman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I run mythbuntu 7.10 currently, no backports or anything funky. Works
> perfectly with a few tiny exceptions. One of them is that when I skip
> forward or back, there is a brief 1-2 sec "resync" of audio and video
> that results in a couple second loss of  tiny loss of content. I expect
> that when skipping it should be fluid  and pretty much instant.
>
> Why is this not the case?
>
> Is this a case of "It's a feature not a bug? Or is it just the accepted
> way it is?

No, its not normal or at least it has never acted that way for me. Do
you have the "seek to exact frame" option enabled? Try disabling that or
if its off, try enabling that. Do you have the "enable extra audio
buffering" turned on? I notice that jumps take a fraction of a second
longer with that enabled but my hdtv skips without it. Are you piping
audio to a external amp? Perhaps its trying to switch modes every time
you skip and causing the delay? I get a 1-2 sec silence when my amp
switches between PCM and AC3, maybe you are seeing the same thing and
can set your amp to default to the correct audio type.

W.